Saturday, March 12, 2005

The Problems With Biology, Part III

Part II
Part I

Alright. We've finished the environmentalists and the animal rights activists. What's next? Ah - yes. I've ripped into the left-wingers enough (until Part IV, that is). Now I have to start blasting the right-wing.

As I've noted, biologists don't help themselves often. We always are railing on about protecting the widdle animals or preventing Earth from somehow murdering 4.186 billion of us. The leftist bent of the two groups mentioned above absolutely kills biology. But the conservatives (which I am a part of) does not help biology in general. Why? Because conservatives don't take biology seriously.

Normally, "It's not really a science" is reserved for Psychology (it's a science - deal with it). However, I have heard Republicans say the same about Biology. The primary reason for this is because nearly all of biology is founded on Darwin's Theory of Evolution. It's unfortunate that a lot of conservatives consider this "bunk", but it's the case. Due to religious fervor, conservatives for a change are the ones that cry out "ETHICS!" when we deal with evolution and biological-psychology. Let me explain before sentencing me to hell. (And I've known I've been going anyway since the day I remarked 'God only said humans were good because "They're GRRRRRREAT!" was already taken' - ^_^)

Conservatives oppose the cloning of any sort of embryo. I'm sure they're out there, but I have never heard a reason opposing this other than "You're playing God", or "It's not right". I've never been able to understand why when I'm opposing the word marriage to be used in the context of gays, I'm doing God's work, but when I suggest cloning certain things to help people live, I'm playing God. I'm sorry, but it can only be one or the other.

Tests are sometimes done on animal psychology - how they think. This process is unique in that it's opposed by the left AND the right. I say the closer we are to understanding a simpler animal's brain, the closer we are to understanding our own. Now, this could be a good thing, or a bad thing, but by the year 2500, we will have most certainly figured out how to wire a brain. Of course, in the wrong hands, this would be the single most vile weapon ever created, which is why I'm setting a 500-year timetable instead of say, 250 years if we didn't have to worry about someone putting it to the use of brainwashing.

Conservatives also tend to detest experiments on primates, because usually tests on monkeys and apes are in terms of Darwin's Theory. Finding out how apes and monkeys think, again, gets us closer to figuring out how we work, one of the goals of biology since the beginning. Biology is meant to save human lives.

Other than the constant haranguing that makes them look like liberals though, conservatives hold only about one-fifth of the problems of biology in their hands. The other 80% is because of the two sets of people we discussed in the last two posts. I return to them in part IV.